Friday, August 7, 2009

Fiesta de adios para Gracie

I woke up this morning with a call from my husband at 6:30 AM. He was at the Nicaraguan Embassy with our friend Guillermo - there to get an updated power of attorney. He was confirming with me, Gracie's Birthday, my social security number etc.. Of course my husband got everything done that needed to be done. He promised me that he would have the documents to me if he had to fly down himself!! I like my husband....I like him a lot!! We talked throughout the morning regarding the details. What amazes both of us is how amazing our friends are - Guillermo dropped everything, on such short notice, to accompany Tim to the embassy. We have messages from friends who are praying for us. Suggestions and support. We reached out to a friend at OrphaNetwork and discovered he is coming to Nicaragua on Monday.. this is our saving grace!! Hand delivered documents...from a trusted friend. It doesn't get any better than that!!

Scarlett asked me today - "Mommy - when will we know if we can go home on Thursday?" And my answer was "Thursday morning at around 10:00 AM"!! We are cutting it close, right?!?! ;)

Today was Gracie's goodbye party at the orphanage - Jason and Michele bought the biggest pinata I have ever seen!! It was yellow - bright yellow - round - with a big smiley face on it and a party hat on top! We filled it with about 20 bags of candy and headed to the orphanage. We had 75 donuts, lots of soda and of course, Mr. Smiley. :)

Going to the orphanage is ALWAYS a blessing to me. After my day yesterday, I was not in the mood to celebrate. I wasn't too much better today...but it is always a blessing to see my kids. They were excited about the party but were sad that we were leaving next week. Leaving these kids is the hardest thing to do....I know I will see them soon but want to see them often, so they will know how much I love them and make a difference in their lives.

Even more important than me saying goodbye is our sweet Gracie having to say goodbye. She doesn't understand fully of what is happening - but I know that the staff and these children ARE also her family. Maria Jose wrote a letter to Gracie explaining her life at the orphanage - when she came, what her mannerisms were like as a child, her likes and dislikes and then ended it with giving her advice to listen to her parents, live life to it's fullest and love God. Maria Jose read it to me and I cried....our girl was loved and the people here have made her the beautiful girl she is today.

We will see everyone again on Sunday...but today was bittersweet - a celebration but a goodbye.

3 comments:

  1. Leave it to Maria Jose. I hope she understands how much of a gift she is to between 30 and 50 kids. She really is the Mom to all of them. She is a quirky and LOVING human...someone that God has to smile at constantly. AND she likes Tona (my favorite Nica Beer) so she is pretty darn good in my book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesa: your blogs are as exciting as your adventures. You're a hero! And so is Tim. You've overcome 3 months of obstacles, some of the toughest in these last few days! Way to go! How about making homemade frames of photos of your beautiful family as gifts using puzzle pieces, shells, etc as the frame? My fingers are crossed till you get off that plane! And my prayers are with you! Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesa,

    We are so excited for you, Tim, and the girls! You are in our prayers--that all will go off without a hitch this week. We can't wait to see the happy family soon!

    Donna McKinnon

    ReplyDelete