Thursday, August 6, 2009

No more waiting....

What a productive day we had today!!! We had our run this morning, a great breakfast and then off to our doctor's appointment for Gracie. Before Gracie can get her VISA to enter the United States, she has to have all her vaccinations - there are only 3 doctors that are approved through the Embassy - so I made an appointment with the first one on the list. We all arrived and were disappointed when we got there - we brought our interpreter, Freddy with us and apparently I had misunderstood the receptionist when I made the appointment. I had to have Gracie's passport before I could see the doctor - this is a long and pointless story but the bottom line is that I could not understand the woman on the phone and albeit, I kept saying "please talk slowly my Spanish is not good" she continued to rattle a million words a minute. So we decided to leave that office and go to doctor #2 on the list. We called our lawyer Nubia and she made an appointment for us and worked out a great deal for us...good job Nubia!!

Gracie had to get 2 shots and right before the doctor gave them to her - she looked up at me and said "I'm sorry Mommy". It broke my heart. I did my best to explain to her that she didn't do anything wrong but these were to keep her healthy. Little bug!! I had to hold her face to look at me and we started to sing her favorite song (yes, Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow) to keep her mind off of what was going on. She didn't cry and was very proud of herself.

When we went to the waiting room to get the girls...Gracie started to tell them how brave she was and Lucie burst out crying. For heavens sake, right? When I asked her what was wrong she told me that she wasn't brave because she always cries when she gets shots. I wanted to say "that's right...you are a big baby and still suck your thumb" but instead (remember, Mother of the year) I said "you are so brave and you are the one who has taught Gracie to be so brave and look how good she did!" I'm good...right?!?!

So it was off to McDonalds for a celebration (not my idea but they have a great play area for the kids) - we then had our friends drop us off at the mall to do a little present shopping. Seriously, what do you get the people you love who have supported you through this entire process? I am at a loss - shopping didn't really help either. If you have any ideas....please let me know. We spent a couple of hours there and headed home.

I went to the office to speak to our landlord - told them that we will be checking out on the 12th - worked out our payments and made an appointment for our final walk through of the house. I also made reservations at a hotel that is across the street from the airport for our final night (12th) in Nicaragua. Exciting!!!

So tomorrow - we head to Immigration for Gracie's passport. Apparently, they have stopped making passports (on the front page of the newspaper yesterday) because they have ran out of materials....they claim it will be December before they make any more....only in Nicaragua. So tomorrow should be quite interesting.

We are making progress and having fun along the way...we will be home in a week and this being productive stuff is AWESOME. I have spent the majority of my time in this country...waiting...now I am actually doing things and seeing a clear path home. I LOVE IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment